May 19, 2024, 04:24:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Pray for the revival of the saints that we would have an organic ground of the Oneness for the church in Toledo
Acts 13:1a "Now there were at Antioch, in the church that was."
Now there were at Toledo, in the church that is.

CLICK HERE: VIRTUAL RADIO STATION ONLINE BROADCASTING LINK ! ON AIR !

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who is David in the Bible?  (Read 6935 times)
Timothy
« on: December 02, 2010, 03:55:43 PM »

I have been really considering the relationship between God and David.  I was brought to 2 Samuel Chapter 7

1 And as the king dwelt in his house and Jehovah gave him rest all around from all his enemies,
2 The king said to Nathan the prophet, See now, I dwell in a house of cedar, but the Ark of God dwells within curtains.
3 And Nathan said to the king, All that is in your heart go and do, for Jehovah is with you.
4 And in that night the word of Jehovah came to Nathan, saying,
5 Go and say to My servant David, Thus says Jehovah, Is it you who will build Me a house for Me to dwell in?
6 For I have not dwelt in a house, since the day I brought the children of Israel up out of Egypt to this day; but I went about in a tent and in a tabernacle.
7 In all My going about among all the children of Israel, did I ever speak a word to any of the tribes of Israel, whom I commanded to shepherd My people Israel, saying, Why have you not built Me a house of cedar?
8 And now thus shall you say to My servant David, Thus says Jehovah of hosts, I took you from the pasture, from following the sheep, that you might be ruler over My people, over Israel;
9 And I have been with you in every place that you have gone and have cut off all your enemies before you; and I will make a great name for you, like the name of the great ones who are on the earth.
10 And I will appoint a place for My people Israel and will plant them there, that they may dwell in their own place and be disturbed no more; and the sons of wickedness will ill-treat them no more as before,
11 Even since the time when I commanded that there be judges over My people Israel; and I will give you rest from all your enemies. Moreover Jehovah declares to you that Jehovah will make you a house.
12 When your days are fulfilled and you sleep with your fathers, I will raise up your seed after you, which will come forth from your body, and I will establish his kingdom.
13 It is he who will build a house for My name, and I will establish the throne of his kingdom forever.
14 I will be his Father, and he will be My son. If he commits iniquity, I will strike him with the rod of men and with the stripes of the sons of men;
15 But My lovingkindness will not depart from him, as I took it away from Saul, whom I put away before you.
16 And your house and your kingdom will be made sure forever before you; your throne will be established forever.
17 According to all these words and according to this whole vision did Nathan speak to David.
18 Then King David went and sat before Jehovah; and he said, Who am I, O Lord Jehovah, and what is my house that You have brought me this far?
19 And this was yet a small thing in Your sight, O Lord Jehovah; but You have spoken also of the house of Your servant for a great while to come; and is this the custom for man, O Lord Jehovah?
20 And what more can David say to You? For You know Your servant, O Lord Jehovah.
21 For Your word's sake and according to Your own heart, You have done all this greatness to make Your servant know it.
22 Therefore You are great, O Lord Jehovah; for there is none like You, nor is there any God besides You, according to all that we have heard with our ears.
23 And who is like Your people Israel, a nation unique on the earth, which God went to redeem to Himself as a people in order to make a name for Himself and to do for You what is great and awesome for Your land and before Your people, whom You have redeemed to Yourself out of Egypt, from the nations and their gods?
24 And You have established Your people Israel to be a people to You forever, and You, O Jehovah, became their God.
25 And now, O Jehovah God, confirm forever the word which You have spoken concerning Your servant and concerning his house, and do as You have spoken.
26 And may Your name be magnified forever when men say, Jehovah of hosts is God over Israel; and the house of Your servant David will be established before You.
27 For You, O Jehovah of hosts, God of Israel, have revealed to Your servant, saying, I will build you a house; therefore Your servant has found it in his heart to pray this prayer to You.
28 And now, O Lord Jehovah, You are God, and Your words are true, and You have spoken this good matter to Your servant;
29 Now therefore may it please You to bless the house of Your servant, that it may be before You forever; for You, O Lord Jehovah, have spoken it. And with Your blessing may the house of Your servant be blessed forever.

David is such a sweet brother, so concerned with building the Lord a house.  I know that David was not the one who built the temple but his son Solomon.  I am really touched by David and his concern for the Lord.  How much I am reminded about where my concerns lay; am I more concerned for what the Lord wants or for what I want?  In coming across this chapter I genuinely would like to know more about the relationship David had with Lord, I am so touched but do not have a good knowledge of the Bible especially the Old Testament.
ginnys
Levitical Pursuit

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010, 07:48:06 AM »

wow, brother, Amen! the Lord is so real! Just yesterday a sister mentioned this chapter to me...the Lord today wants His builded church, that is is home! You are right, the Lord is longing for a people to care for what HE wants, but where are those people who are running after Him with a pure heart? They are here in Toledo for sure! Amen!
Administrator
Administrators
Levitical Pursuit

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 10:54:41 AM »

"I have been really considering the relationship between God and David.  I was brought to 2 Samuel Chapter 7"

Dear Timothy,
We are happy to stand behind your consideration before our Lord! It is very healthy condition to pursue the relationship between you and God.

Let us explore  and experience this chapter together! Amen

Your brother in Him
Administrator
Administrators
Levitical Pursuit

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 10:56:17 AM »

"David is such a sweet brother, so concerned with building the Lord a house.  I know that David was not the one who built the temple but his son Solomon.  I am really touched by David and his concern for the Lord.  How much I am reminded about where my concerns lay; am I more concerned for what the Lord wants or for what I want?  In coming across this chapter I genuinely would like to know more about the relationship David had with Lord, I am so touched but do not have a good knowledge of the Bible especially the Old Testament."

1. In coming across this chapter I genuinely would like to know more about the relationship David had with Lord.

2. I am so touched but do not have a good knowledge of the Bible especially the Old Testament.

Administrator
Administrators
Levitical Pursuit

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2010, 11:04:39 AM »

1. In coming across this chapter I genuinely would like to know more about the relationship David had with Lord.
2. I am so touched but do not have a good knowledge of the Bible especially the Old Testament.

Brother Timothy,
Very well! Then we will need to begin to consider David?s care for God?s habitation on the earth. As we will see, in chapter six David took care of the habitation of the ark of God, and in chapter seven he wanted to build a house for God.
Let us to see who is David and what he pleases the Lord so much! a little background review we are going to see as followed facts from the Old Testament:

I.   TAKING CARE OF THE HABITATION OF THE ARK OF GOD
By the time of chapter six, David was not lacking in anything. All things had worked together in David?s favor.  He had become the king not only of Judah but also of all the tribes of God?s people. He had obtained a stronghold---- Zion----and a capital----Jerusalem. Furthermore, he had a palace, which had been built with cedar from Lebanon. He was under God?s sovereignty, and God?s presence was with him. At that juncture he began to take thought about God?s dwelling place on earth. Whereas he was living in a house of cedar, the ark, which represented God, still did not have a home (2 Sam. 7:2). Unable to bear such a situation, David decided to remove the ark of God to a permanent dwelling place. This indicates that David?s heart was set on God?s house, God?s habitation.

The matter of God?s dwelling place on earth is worthy of much consideration on our part. We need to realize that whatever God does for us and whatever He gives to us should be altogether for our concern for the building up of God?s dwelling place on earth. For God to have a house on earth is a great shame to His enemy, Satan. For generations Satan has been struggling to abuse, usurp, and occupy the earth.  As a result, in a sense God has been driven away from the earth. That was the situation at David?s time. However, David was for God; he was one with God and according to God. As a man according to God?s heart, David desired to prepare a place where God could settle Himself down on this earth.

In order to understand adequately David?s taking care of the habitation of the ark of God, we need to review the history of the ark of God.

A.   The History of the Ark of God
The ark, which was made of acacia wood covered with gold, was a type of Christ as the embodiment of the moving and working God. The ark was placed in the inner chamber of the tabernacle, the Holy of Holies, and thus became the center of the tabernacle. On the lid of the ark God came to contact His people. There God?s righteousness was appeased, and God and man could have peace and harmony with each other. This was also God?s oracle, where God spoke to man.  The ark was respected to the uttermost by the Jewish people because they considered that the ark was God?s presence. To go to the ark was to go to God. Thus, to remove the ark to David?s stronghold was to move God from the heavens to the earth, to the holy land, and to Zion, where He could have His residence.

1.   Made by Moses
The ark was made by Moses (Exo. 25:10-22) according to God?s design in order to contain the law on the two tables as the testimony of God. The law was according to God and was a ??photograph?? of God. The law regulated man?s relationship with God and with other men. Because the law as the testimony of God was placed in the ark, the ark was called the ark of the testimony (vv. 16, 22; 26:33). The ark was also for God to meet with His people and to speak to them (25:22).

2.   Placed in the Holy of Holies within the Tabernacle
According to Exodus 40:20-21 the ark was placed in the Holy of Holies within the tabernacle.

3.   Traveling through the Wilderness with the Children of Israel
The ark traveled through the wilderness with the children of Israel for about forty years (Num. 10:33-36). This means that God traveled with His people. In a sense, the priests carried Him, but in actuality God took the lead to travel, bringing all the congregation of the children of Israel onward.

4.   Staying in Shiloh
After the children of Israel entered into the good land, the ark stayed in Shiloh (Josh. 18:1).

5.   Captured by the Philistines
At a certain point in its history, the ark was captured by the Philistines (1 Sam. 4:4, 11a, 21-22).

6.   Staying in the Country of the Philistines for Seven Months
The ark stayed in the country of the Philistines for seven months (6:1).

7.   Returned to Beth-shemesh
Eventually, the ark was returned from the land of the Philistines to Beth-shemesh (6:11-15).

8.   Removed from Beth-shemesh to Kiriath-jearim and Put into the House of Abinadab
The ark was removed from Beth-shemesh to Kiriath-jearim and was put into the house of Abinadab and stayed there for twenty years (6:20----7:2). At that time God was homeless. He was a ??guest?? and Abinadab was the host.

B.   David?s Desire to Remove the Ark from the House of Abinadab to Zion, the City of David
As a man who was according to God?s heart, David knew that God desired to have His own home. Hence, David desired to remove the ark from the house of Abinadab to Zion, the city of David (2 Sam. 6:1-10).

1.   The Removal of the Ark of God, and David and All the House of Israel Playing on Musical Instruments before Jehovah
The ark of God was removed from the house of Abinadab, and David and all the house of Israel played on musical instruments before Jehovah (vv. 1-5). That was a most joyful occasion because God was moving from a guest house to His own lodging.

2.   The Oxen Stumbling, Uzzah Reaching Out for the Ark of God and Taking Hold of It, and the Anger of Jehovah Striking Him to Death
The people of Israel, perhaps influenced by the Philistines, moved the ark by means of a cart. The ark should have been borne by the Levites (1 Chron. 15:2). God did not condemn the worldly Philistines for using a cart to move the ark, but He would not tolerate the same action by His people.  Under God?s sovereignty the oxen stumbled at Nachon?s threshing floor, and Uzzah, having a good intention, reached out for the ark of God and took hold of it (2 Sam. 6:6).  Instantly, he was killed. ??The anger of Jehovah was kindled against Uzzah, and God struck him there for his error; and he died there by the ark of God?? (v. 7). The natural hand, the hand of man, touching something divine brought in God?s anger.

3.   David Being Afraid of Jehovah and Carrying the Ark into the House of Obed-edom
The death of Uzzah frightened David very much, and he did not want to remove the ark of God to himself in the city of David. Instead, he carried it into the house of Obed-edom the Gittite (vv. 9-10), where it stayed for three months.

C.   David?s Removal of the Ark of God from the House of Obed-edom to His City, Zion
In verses 11 through 23 we see that David removed the ark from the house of Obed-edom and brought it to his city, Zion.

1.   Because of God?s Blessing on Obed-edom
Obed-edom offered hospitality to the ark of God, and for this reason God blessed him and all his household. When David heard that God had blessed the house of Obed-edom and all that he had because of the ark of God, David came back to remove the ark of God to Zion, David?s private city, which was the center of the public city of Jerusalem (vv. 11-12).

2.   David Offering Sacrifices to Jehovah and Dancing with All His Might before Jehovah
When those who bore the ark of Jehovah had gone six paces, David sacrificed an ox and a fatling (v. 13). Also, David danced with all his might before Jehovah, having girded himself with a linen ephod (v. 14). David wore a garment which only the priests should wear. For that day, he became a high priest to wear the ephod. On that occasion he was a priest as well as a king. In a sense, he broke the divine ordination. But in another sense, this was an honor and a glory to God.

3.   The Ark of God Being Brought Up
with Shouting and the Sound of the Trumpet
Verse 15 tells us that David and all the house of Israel brought up the ark of Jehovah with shouting and with the sound of the trumpet.

4.   The Ark of God Being Lodged in a Tent That David Pitched for It
The ark of God lodged in the tent that David pitched for it. David offered sacrifices before Jehovah, blessing the people in the name of Jehovah of hosts and apportioning to all the people some cakes (vv. 17-19).

5.   Michal the Wife of David Despising Him at His Dancing before Jehovah and Receiving the Curse of Not Having a Child
Everyone was happy except Michal, David?s wife, who was of the house of Saul. When she saw King David leaping and dancing before Jehovah, she despised him in her heart (v. 16).  After David blessed the people, he returned to bless his household, and Michal went forth to meet him and mocked him, saying, ??How the king of Israel has made himself honorable today, uncovering himself today in the sight of the maids of his servants as some worthless fellow might shamelessly uncover himself !?? (v. 20). David replied, ??It was before Jehovah, who chose me above your father and above all his house, to appoint me ruler over the people of Jehovah, over Israel; so I played before Jehovah?? (v. 21). The chapter concludes by saying that Michal the daughter of Saul had no child until the day of her death (v. 23). Her mocking of David brought upon her the curse of childlessness.

Administrator
Administrators
Levitical Pursuit

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2010, 11:18:22 AM »

In the foregoing post we saw from chapter six that David took care of the habitation of the ark. In this section we will see that, according to chapter seven, David wanted to build a house for God.

Concerning this matter let us see more important facts as followed:

II. WANTING TO BUILD A HOUSE FOR GOD
A.   Considering That He Himself Dwelled in a House of Cedar, but That the Ark of God Dwelled within Curtains
David considered that he himself dwelled in a house of cedar but that the ark of God dwelled within curtains (v. 2b).

B.   Releasing His Consideration to Nathan the Prophet David released his consideration to Nathan the prophet, who encouraged him to go and do what was in his heart, telling David that Jehovah was with him (vv. 2a, 3).

C.   God?s Response to David through Nathan
In verses 4 through 17 we have God?s response to David through Nathan. Verse 4 tells us in that night the word of Jehovah came to Nathan.

1.   God Having Never Asked Anyone to Build Him a House That He Might Dwell in It
God told David that since the time He brought Israel up out of Egypt, He had never asked anyone to build Him a house that He might dwell in it. Rather, He went about in a tent and in a tabernacle (vv. 5-7).
2.   God Taking David from the Pasture of the Sheep
That He Might Be Ruler over His People Israel
God charged Nathan to tell David that He took him from the pasture, from following the sheep, that he might be ruler over His people Israel (v. 8). Also, God had been with David in every place and had cut off all his enemies (v. 9a). This refers to the presence of God. David was prosperous because he had the presence of God. This is a lesson for us today.  Whenever we prepare ourselves to speak God?s word, we must be assured that we have the presence of God. If we do not have this assurance, we need to pray until we have the deep sense of God?s presence with us.
3.   God Making a Great Name for David
God promised David that He would make a great name for him, ??like the name of the great ones who are on the earth?? (v. 9b).
4.   God Appointing a Place for His People Israel and Planting Them God said that He would appoint a place for His people
Israel and plant them, that they might dwell in their own
place without disturbances and without being ill-treated by
the sons of wickedness (v. 10). David?s heart was to get a
place for God to dwell in, but God?s heart is to get a place for His people to be settled and even planted. For this to take place, however, God?s elect people need to cooperate with Him.
5.   God Giving David Rest from All His Enemies
God told David that He would give him rest from all his enemies (v. 11a). Here God seemed to be saying, ??David, you have a heart for Me. My heart is for you, and I want you to have rest from all the enemies that are around you.??
6.   God Declaring to David That He Would Make Him a House
Jehovah declared to David that He would make him a house (v. 11b). When we love the Lord, we may feel that we should do something for Him. However, when we resolve to do something for the Lord, we may have the sense deep within us that we need the Lord to do more for us. As we will see, we are short of Christ and we need more of Christ.
7.   God Raising Up David?s Seed (Referring to Christ) and Establishing His Kingdom (Referring to Christ?s Kingdom)
God said to David, ??I will raise up your seed after you, which will come forth from your body, and I will establish his kingdom?? (v. 12). Here ??your seed?? refers to Christ and ??his kingdom?? refers to Christ?s kingdom. In His response to David?s desire to build God a house, God in a sense came in to stop David by indicating that before David could do something for God, he needed God to do something for him.  Whenever we would think to do something for God, God within us would tell us that we are short of something. Our shortage is Christ. We all need Christ.
We are short of Christ, God?s Son. We need God to make His Son our seed; that is, we need Christ as our heritage and our treasure.

When a sinner turns to God and believes in Christ, he may then have the heart to do something for God. However, to such a person God would say, ??Do you intend to do something for Me? You have a great need for Me to do something for you.  What I want to do for you is to constitute My Son into your being to be your treasure. Unless I do this for you, you will never have the capacity to do anything for Me.?? The Christ whom God desires to constitute into us is not only our treasure----He is also our home. Where do we live today? We live in Christ. Before Christ the Son of God was wrought into our being, we were homeless. To be homeless is to be Christless. Without Christ, we do not have a home.  Likewise, without Christ we do not have righteousness, justification, or satisfaction. We need God to build Christ into our being to be our righteousness, justification, food and drink, clothing, satisfaction, dwelling place, and home. In order for this to happen, God has put us into Christ (1 Cor.  1:30), and now Christ is becoming everything to us.  In 2 Samuel 7:12 God was actually telling David that instead of building something for God, he needed God to build His Son into him. It is a marvelous fact that eventually David?s seed would be called the Son of God (Rom. 1:3). This indicates the principle of incarnation. Christ is the God-man. As God, He is the Son of God; as man, He is our seed. If the Son of God is not constituted into us, we are nothing. The Son of God must become our seed, yet He remains the Son of God.  When we were saved, many of us believed the gospel in a shallow way. The more I study the Bible, the more I realize that the gospel is not shallow. The genuine and intrinsic gospel is that God intends to work Himself in Christ into us.

In 2 Samuel 7:12 we have the genuine preaching of the gospel.  If we preach this intrinsic gospel, we will tell others that they should not think that they can do something for God, for their human life is empty. We will tell them that they are short of something and that what they need is Christ, the very God Himself, to be wrought into their being. This is the gospel.
In order to work Himself into us, God first became a man through incarnation. As a man He died for us, and then rose up from among the dead and became the life-giving Spirit (1 Cor. 15:45b). This life-giving Spirit is our Savior, who redeemed us on the cross and who is now saving us in our spirit. He is our Redeemer, Savior, life, and seed. As such a One, He is now being built, constituted, into us, making us a part of Him, even as He has made Himself a part of us.  If we read 2 Samuel 7 under God?s enlightening, we will see that the seed of David is Christ. According to verse 7 God will establish David?s kingdom, which refers to Christ?s kingdom.  This means that the kingdom of David is Christ?s kingdom. The prophets spoke of David and Christ as one. In Hosea 3:5 and Amos 9:11 the coming of King David refers to Christ?s coming.
8.   Christ Building a House for God?s Name, and God Establishing the Throne of Christ?s Kingdom Forever
Second Samuel 7:13 reveals that it is Christ who will build a house for God?s name, and God will establish the throne of Christ?s kingdom forever.
9.   God Being Christ?s Father,
and Christ Being God?s Son
Verse 14a says, ??I will be his Father, and he will be My son.?? This actually reveals that God will be Christ?s Father and that Christ will be God?s Son (Heb. 1:5b). God?s salvation is just to make Christ, His embodiment, ours. The Son of God, who is the embodiment of God, God Himself, is in us.  Therefore, we can declare that Christ, the Son of God, has been built into us.
10.   God Striking David?s Seed (Referring to the One Other Than Christ) if He Committed Iniquity
Second Samuel 7:14b-15 says that if David?s seed (referring to the one other than Christ, that is, Solomon) committed iniquity, God would strike him with the rod of men and with the stripes of the sons of men. However, God?s lovingkindness would not depart from him, as God took it away from Saul.  Solomon did commit serious sin, and God chastised him because of it, but God?s lovingkindness nevertheless remained with the house of David.
11.   David?s House and His Kingdom (Referring to Christ?s Kingdom) Being Made Sure Forever
In verse 16 God said to David, ??Your house and your kingdom will be made sure forever before you; your throne will be established forever.?? Here ??your kingdom?? refers to Christ?s kingdom, and ??your throne?? refers to Christ?s throne.  In the Bible David and Christ have one throne. Christ is the real David (Matt. 12:3-6). Eventually, Christ and we become one, for in a very real sense Christ has become us. He is the Head and we are the Body, and the Head and the Body are one.

D.   David?s Response to God
Verses 18 through 29 are a record of David?s response to God.
1.   Thanking God for All the Great Things He Had Done to Him for His Word?s Sake
In verses 18 through 21 David thanked God for all the great things He had done to him for His word?s sake and according to His own heart.
2.   Praising God for His Greatness in All That He Had Done for Israel
Next, David praised God for His greatness in all that He had done for His people Israel (vv. 22-24). In verse 24 David
said, ??You have established Your people Israel to be a people to You forever, and You, O Jehovah, became their God.??
3.   Asking God to Build, Establish, and Bless His House Forever according to His Promise
Finally, David asked God to build, establish, and bless his house forever according to His promise (vv. 25-29). David concluded by saying to God, ??May it please You to bless the house of Your servant, that it may be before You forever; for You, O Lord Jehovah, have spoken it. And with Your blessing may the house of Your servant be blessed forever?? (v. 29).

Administrator
Administrators
Levitical Pursuit

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2010, 11:27:52 AM »

Where is God's habitation today?
Amen! We should be all truly truly to say it is the Church!

But where is God's habitation on the earth today in Toledo?
The church in Toledo! The church expresses the Church on earth in the locality of city of Toledo.
The church magnifies the Oneness of the Body of Christ today as same as all other churches on the earth that we see the pattern of the Bible.

We shall all amen to answer that call with all its demands as Davis who is to our Lord. Let us prepare all the necessities and build the dwelling place of God today together here in Toledo, Today!
J
Basic

17 posts

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2010, 06:39:11 PM »

Where is God's habitation today?
Amen! We should be all truly truly to say it is the Church!

But where is God's habitation on the earth today in Toledo?
The church in Toledo! The church expresses the Church on earth in the locality of city of Toledo.
The church magnifies the Oneness of the Body of Christ today as same as all other churches on the earth that we see the pattern of the Bible.

We shall all amen to answer that call with all its demands as Davis who is to our Lord. Let us prepare all the necessities and build the dwelling place of God today together here in Toledo, Today!

Lord, I repent that I always think about my "own household".  Lord, thank you for everything. It is your grace that today I am in the church of Toledo, I am at home. Lord, you desire your home. Lord, now I wanna be equipped and prepared by you. I wanna build up your house in Toledo. I wanna be your good soldier and unashamed worker. Lord, I love you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: